In the monastic reform movement of Cluny in the 11th and 12th century, the former Benedictine Monastery of St. Peter and Paul was one of the most influential German reform monasteries North of the Alps. In 1692 it was destroyed by French troops in the War for Succession of the Palatinate. The ruins which as regards architectonic history are most significant include relics from various architectural styles: The well preserved Romanesque three-nave column basilica which once was the largest Romanesque church in the South West of Germany, the Gothic cloister, the late-Gothic 'Marienkapelle' (Chapel of our Lady) and the ruins of a Renaissance castle which, until 1989, were the home of the elm tree of Hirsau celebrated in verse by Ludwig Uhland.
Opening hours: Freely accessible
Dates: May – October: Sundays at 11:00 a.m. (German language)
Duration: approx. 1 ¼ hour
Meeting point: Main entrance (lower arch)
Cost: Adults € 3.50, holders of guest cards € 2.00
Children and juveniles 12 – 18 years: € 1.50
Special tours for groups are available upon request at the Calw Tourist Office.
Groups of a maximum of 16 persons: € 60.00 (English language) / € 40.00 (German language)
Any additional person: € 2.00
Today, the Hirsau Monastery Festival and the Aurelius Concerts which form part of it can be enjoyed in the Monastery Complex in summer. The most impressive sites, the engagement of renowned theatre companies and orchestras as well as the most interesting programme attract more than 6,000 visitors each year. For further information on the festival programme or for booking please contact:
Stadtinformation (Calw Tourist Office)
tel.: +49 (0)7051 167-399
fax: +49 (0)7051 167-398,