The building of the Tawer's Workshop Balz was constructed around 1800 on the banks of the river Nagold, in close vicinity to Nikolaus Chapel. The building, which is characteristic of the region, shows a half-timbered construction above its massive brick base, which is typical of the time and which merely served structural purposes. On the occasion of the King's visit to Calw in 1899 it was plastered. The water workshops with historic machines and equipment are to be found in the basement as well as in a brick extension located on the banks of the Nagold and built to provide more production space.
When the tannery trade was introduced, the rooms of the first floor were used as storage areas for the skins and furs and as finishing-room. Today the dry processing of the skins and furs as well as their measurement is demonstrated here.
On the former residential floor above, detailed information is provided on the tradition of tanning in Calw, the various tanning techniques and the respective final products.
Badstraße 7/1, 75365 Calw
Bürgerverein (Citizen's Association) ”Alte Gerberei e. V.”
tel./fax: +49 (0) 70 51/37 51
April - October: Sun. 2:00 p.m. – 5 p.m.
November - March: closed
On public holidays, the museum is closed.
Guided tours only (last tour: 4:30 p.m., duration approx. 1 hour). Special tours for groups available outside usual opening hours upon request.
Admission incl. guided tour:
Adults € 2.00
Children and juveniles € 1.00
Special rate for groups: € 30.00 (approx. 15 people)
School classes: € 15.00 (approx. 15 people)